Let’s Talk NaNoHop! Networking With Other Authors!

As you likely know, November was National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Well, the fabulous  Raimey Gallant put together something called the NaNoHop or the NaNo Blog and Social Media Hop. The idea was that all the authors who wanted to participate could list all their social media, blogs, FB, twitter, etc. and then follow one another on each of these formats. Over 400 authors of all levels of experience joined in. I won’t lie, it was a lot of work to follow so many people in so many arenas! Especially the blogs where you have to sign up for email, then check for a confirmation email, then accept the confirmation. It was pretty time consuming.

That said the benefits have been amazing! Not only did I grow my list of subscribers to my blog from less than 20 to just under 100, but I also discovered TONS of great blogs about writing, mental health, LGBTQ, and so much more! I have already learned a lot about novels that I didn’t know before. I’m pretty well versed in screenwriting rules of thumb but sadly lacking in novel writing know-how. That’s all changing and it’s made an instant impact on the novel I’m working on now, THE ANOMALOUS ADVENTURES OF JAMES AND MAX (a YA comedy).

Raimey even arranged for awards for about a dozen people ranging from full manuscript coverage, to chapter one coverage, to query letter feedback. While I didn’t win in the actual sense of getting a physical prize, I feel like I did win because of the great contacts that I’ve made. I have some real connections with a number of the other authors and I’m still just getting to know them all.

It’s been so encouraging to write more when I see the struggles and successes of my fellow authors! There have been great blogs about knowing the proper word count for your genre (something I’m ashamed to say I didn’t research even though it seems so obvious now!), when and how to do query letters, the struggles of meeting word counts and daily goals, and of course the personal touches where you get to know the writer behind the blogs. It’s been a truly amazing experience! I’ve gained tons of new followers on Twitter, my FB Author page, Instagram, even my YouTube channel that I haven’t started using just yet (stay tuned, Vlogs coming soon!).

I’m really grateful to Raimey and to everyone else who signed up for the hop. It feels great to be in a community of people who are in a similar place to me. It inspires me to see the triumph stories and gives me compassion for myself and others when I hear about the trials as well.

A few of the blogs that I’ve really gotten into are:

Raimey Gallant: Author Blog

Words In Your face

Creatology

Cotton’s Corner

J.M. Sullivan: Author, Pinner, Mommy

Retrobate Typewriter: A Writer’s Performance Space

Dark Perceptions

D.M.Paul.com: Poet, Wordsmith, Author, Writer and Colorfully Variant Thinker.

There are literally hundreds more! I won’t list them all but I will try to highlight some more as I get to reading them. Too many to read all at once and still get my own writing done, but it’s a nice problem to have! So far I’m taking time every Sunday to catch up on the weeks blogs. I don’t get to all of them but it let’s me get to many of them without interfering with my own writing. If I haven’t gotten to yours yet I promise I’m working on it, but feel free to leave me  a message below telling me your name and I will look you up!

What are some blogs that you love? What sorts of blogs are you drawn to? Poetry, Mental Health, Stories, Writing Tips, Parenting? I would love to hear from you. Are you a NaNoHopper? How has it been going for you? Meet me in the comments section and let’s chat!

• Amy Laurel said:

I’m so glad! Me too!

January 22, 2017
  1. Vanessa said:

I really enjoyed the whole experience and have decided not to unfollow anyone unless they become inactive for a long period time.

January 10, 2017
    • Amy Laurel said:

I totally agree! Thanks for commenting!

January 10, 2017
  2. NanoHop has been amazing. I’m trying to keep up with the blogs and COMMENT (oh, so important). I haven’t dropped anyone yet as I’ve been busy finishing NaNo and now editing last summer’s book.
    The NaNoHop response has been great. More followers for all, more future readers for all.
    BTW, if you have questions about novel writing, I’ll be happy to help. I don’t write YA, but can delve into all the mechanics!

January 10, 2017
    • Amy Laurel said:

That is so generous of you!! Thanks so much! And thanks for reading and commenting, I agree commenting helps a lot! It can be hard to have something useful to say on each blog but I’m trying as I get to everyone. Thanks again!

January 10, 2017
  3. It was indeed a lot of work. My goal for future events like this is to make them much simpler. So glad you joined the Hop Amy!

• Amy Laurel said:

I can’t imagine all the work for you to have done this but we are all grateful!

4. Mary Kate said:

Agreed, the NaNo hop was amazing. For a long time I felt like I was only following the “big” writerly blogs and really wanted to interact with “smaller” people like me, people who weren’t published yet or weren’t super well-known, and the blog hop was perfect for that! All hail Remy!

• Amy Laurel said:

Yes! Things are a lot less lonely now!

5. Ann said:

It’s really true. I’ve subscribed to so many blogs that I have trouble keeping up but I don’t want to miss anything! There are so many good ones to read.
    Ann

• Amy Laurel said:

My feelings exactly, Ann!

January 9, 2017
  6. Great post! I agree. The nanohop was awesome and I’m so glad I participated.

• Amy Laurel said:

Thanks, August!

7. Dawn said:

Thank you, Amy, for the mention!

• Amy Laurel said:

My pleasure!

8. JM Sullivan said:

AW! <3 Thanks so much for the shout out! It has been so nice connecting with you too Amy! Seriously NanoBlogHop was AMAZING! 😀

• Amy Laurel said:

Right? I’m so happy I did it!!

• Amy Laurel said:

My pleasure!

January 9, 2017
  9. Sounds like you had a blast with the NaNoHop. It’s all a bit of a blur right now… But I agree that the email subscriptions took a lot of time. So did confirming that I’m not a robot. LOL. It was totally worth it. I’ll try out your strategy of playing catch-up on Sundays. Happy writing.

• Amy Laurel said:

Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate you stopping by!